Friday, January 25, 2013

Introduction

This is my first post here.  I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with this - just so you're aware and we've got it straight at the beginning.  I do indulge in the creative process on occasion, but there's usually some physical component in hand while I do so - paint, musical instrument, paper, pen, Sculpey, you name it.  When the time comes to make something, there's been an idea, an urge that needs to find its way into reality.  This does not happen often, but when it does I usually know it's right.  This thing of taking thoughts from my head and placing them where anyone can see does not come naturally, though.  I'm not afraid to write, but my skill is minimal and my words not well-considered.

That being noted, the purpose of this blog isn't to speak eloquently on anything at all important.  Instead, this space's purpose will be to talk about toys.  Toys, my interest in them (mostly of the Japanese and mechanical nature), and how I reconcile my life and finances to them.  IE:  I'll be taking some lousy photos of, and sharing my opinions on the things in my ever-changing collection.

I can't say that I've ever managed to have a toy-collecting philosophy.  Can such a thing exist, you ask?  Darn tootin' it can, and there are quite a few places online to discover how others collect things.  The closest I ever come to one is "At this particular moment, is this something that interests me and can I afford it?"  Sometimes I tend to get a bit like Toad from the Wind in the Willows and have a new obsession that hits me.  Thus my collection shifts over time, winding its way back and forth between desire for some of the uber-detailed adult collectables that come along, and back to plain old kids' playthings right off the shelf at your local store.

Thus ends my lengthy introduction, and if you've stuck with me so far, perhaps I can manage to keep you coming back for the actual reviews.  Thanks for listening to an old guy who's never managed to leave his childhood loves fully behind him.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see you describe some of your collection. Ummm, your writing skills are far from minimal!

    ReplyDelete